Sunday, July 17, 2011

Thoughts on unity and randomness...



Hannah Rose, Robyn Ann, Rosanna Marie, Blair Olivia, Sarah Joy.


Common words and phrases have been thrown toward the group of us by more than a few people. People that hadn't even spent much time with us. Words like unity, togetherness, teamwork. We're meant to be one. While researching the significance of the number 5, we found it was the number of grace. There's a continuity from God that is being shown to us. We are meant to be together, all five of us. We decided to look up each of our name meanings; mine turned out to be “joyful princess” (go figure :P ).
I woke up early the other morning, coughing, and decided to get up so I wouldn't disturb anyone else's sleep. There was nothing really to do, so I got on my computer and started taking online quizzes (yes, I was bored). Usually I would think nothing of it, but I have been trying to focus more on the meaning of certain things rather than being skeptical that they could mean any more than coincidence. One result of a particular quiz that stood out to me was as follows:

People gravitate toward you. You are usually the happiest person in the room.
You are a unifying force. You bring people together from many different walks of life.
You are a joy to be around, and people love you for being exactly who you are.
You are totally comfortable with where you are in life. You accept yourself and your life circumstances.

It fit in exactly with what we have been discussing ever since arriving. Unity. Joy. Living with our life circumstances. This is more than coincidence!
There's a plan that includes each one of us. We rely on each other, each with a uniqueness we could get nowhere else. Everyone contributes, everyone gains. We all have a different story, offer different things to each other, but we're being knit together to make something great.

Though it hasn't been even two weeks yet, I feel a change. We'll have to say goodbye to Blair and Robyn on Wednesday, but I know it's only a “see you soon”. It'll be interesting seeing all of us back home together, now that we've shared life in a different environment and culture. In a new dynamic. Our togetherness doesn't end once they leave here. We'll always have shared this special time together and it will be forever changed when we see them in the US again. I'm still asking why, though. Why was this unity planned? What's the purpose? Time will only tell.

Ok, other random thoughts:
At home, it's so easy to be sucked into things and forget what's really important. It's not like that here; most are intentional at putting relationships first.
I want to enjoy living in the moment, but it goes against my engrained habit of always looking forward, which makes it hard to focus on the here-and-now (just Google INFJ, it'll all make sense).
There are no time limits here, except until August 23rd when we'll have to say goodbye.
There are a few worries, but I give them up to God because He knows what to do with them; I don't.
I want to get an awesome cultural experience, but sometimes I think this trip is not so much about seeing Africa as it is rebuilding, restoring, and letting the Lord take a hold of my life. And He is!
It's about learning how to relate to people instead of sightseeing. I'm okay with that. Because it's not so much the location, but how God's going to change me.

Oh, and no, I haven't tried grasshoppers or seen any monkeys. Yet.

Love,
-Sarah-

3 comments:

  1. Very cool! Father has a plan for you and it won't be a coincidence. Even your name points to your destiny. You are a member of the royal family and you have authority and a purpose in his Kingdom only you can fulfill. And the grasshoppers aren't bad with a little salt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. SarHa :) love hearing your heart and how our Father is connecting the five of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing, Sarah! I just thought I'd share that last night I was reading some old journal entries when I was in a season similar to yours now. I was far away from home, in a God-soaking-environment, being challenged and changed daily, and very much questioning the future. What was interesting to me is to see now, almost 10 years down the road, how God used that time. All the ways that I came up with for why He had brought me there were incorrect :-) But use that time, He did - immensely. So I just want to encourage you that you don't necessarily need to know why God has you where He is. It's good to keep your heart open to hear in case He wants to let you know... but don't worry if you don't see much beyond what's right in front of you. HE is the One who works in you. Philippians 1:6 HE is the One who determines our steps. Proverbs 16:9 HE is the One who knows where you are going Ps 139:13-16 And He will be faithful. I pray He continues to pour into you while you are there. It blesses the rest of us to hear Him come through you!
    Melissa Mellinger

    ReplyDelete