Saturday, July 9, 2011

Our First Update :)

~From Sarha~
Heeeeeey friends :]
First off, I'm no good at first impressions in a new place. I get so concerned trying to analyze the feelings I get so I can remember later that I forget the environment around me. So I'll try my best:
The pace here is soooooo much slower compared to what I'm used to at home. No one is in a hurry to get anywhere (except for that boda driver today :P ) and it makes for a way less stressful place. I have a feeling it is going to be interesting as time goes on because the difference in cultural priorities is slowly becoming obvious. In America, we are more focused on time limits and events than relationships. Here, it is more important to spend time with people than get somewhere within a designated time. I like that.
One of the highlights so far has been getting to know the guys in the Dove Voice Band. They are all so talented and amazing men of God; it's hard not to be encouraged. We went to see their concert last night at a restaurant called "The Keep", and it was a blast!! We ended up making a conga line near the end and eventually Hannah, Rose, and I got called up to dance by the guys in front of everyone.... Yeah, 'nuff said. :]
It's been so special spending this time with Hannah, Rose, Blair, and Robyn. Establishing relationships with them has been really cool, and it's crazy to be able to get to know them more here of all places.
Before this trip, I was really looking forward to the music that would be here and I couldn't explain it. Well, God is showing me that was no coincidence. I know He has a plan somehow and is going to work it all together in the best possible way. He is so evident in everything here - especially all the people and the relationships. It's shocking to me still that relationships are the priority and all the rest just follows. But it's amazing and I love that about this culture. No one feels unwelcome or unwanted. People are willing to go that extra step to know you just because they care about you and love you.
Sooooo that's the gist of what I can think of so far. I'm looking forward to the growth that's in store and the adventure that's in progress. :]






~From Hannha~
We've been here barely four days and already my heart is so full. Trying to put everything I've been feeling into words is a little difficult for me. I've been so so so excited to be back here in this beautiful country. To hug old friends and make new ones. To re-adjust to a slower life pace. Not always going, going, going. But just sitting with people.
Words given to me through people and from God are being confirmed. I'm here for relationships. I'm here to give. I'm here to serve. I don't know what any of this looks like, but God does and I believe He's already leading me in these areas. I want to stay open to all He has in store for me here. 

Finally getting to meet the Dove Voice Band guys has been amazing!! Paul and Pam met them not long after I left last year. They're love for the Lord is so evident. They're talented singers, dancers, and musicians, but they are so humble.... giving all the glory back to God. I've loved getting to know each and every one of them.
My 18th birthday was on the 7th... a good day :) but the real celebration was the next day, at The Keep for the concert. I'm not sure I've ever danced like that before, but it was amazing!!  The guys surprised me and sang happy birthday. And Auntie Pam had a cake made. I felt so blessed and spoiled.
Being with Sarah, Rose, Blair, and Robyn has been so sweet. I believe us being here, all together, is no coincidence. God has been drawing us close... knitting our hearts togezza. 
I've been here before, but I don't want to think I know everything... because I don't. And it's ok not to have all the answers. I know that my time will be richer if I choose to have a child's heart. Willing to learn... willing to be wrong... willing to not have all the answers. 
I'm excited to see all that God has in store!! 

3 comments:

  1. Father loves you both so much and he has a whole bunch of surprises in store for his favorites! Thanks for updating us. It is so good to read what Father is up to in your lives. Keep dancing! Hug Paul and Pam for me and Abdu too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a GREAT first update!!! Glad you two are having such an amazing time!! Keeping you all in my prayers!!

    Oh, and Hani...you missed your birthday :P

    Love you!!! ♥
    xoxoxoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Papa, thank you for you love and encouragement!!

    Raquel, we love you too!! And I'm pretty sure you're the one who missed my birthday ;)

    ReplyDelete